It seems like new smartphone applications are popping up daily to help improve the lives of people with diabetes.
We’ll take a look into the Dario Blood Glucose Monitoring System, a pocket-sized FDA cleared device, which, using a mobile application, turns your smartphone into your blood glucose meter. The device is essentially a “smart” glucose monitor.
The Dario is a compact gadget which can easily fit into your pocket. It includes a glucose meter, a test-strip cartridge holding 25 test strips, and a lancing device.
- The Dario connects to your smartphone, and displays and logs your blood glucose measurements so you can see your readings when you are on the go.
- It does not require any wires or batteries.
- It requires only a small drop of blood – only 0.3 μl is required.
- The device is quick and provides results in less than 6 seconds.
- The Dario uses real-time tracking, and automatically records your blood glucose measurements and provides analysis of your condition so you can adjust your eating, habits, and activity.
What else does the product offer?
In addition to the device and the app, Dario offers users three different membership plans that offer tools and support to help manage diabetes.
A regular membership gets you: Unlimited test strips, 100 Lancets. The free Dario app allows you to access weekly progress reports and a personalized diabetes program which help provide lifestyle changes, healthy eating, and advanced tracking.
A pro membership includes all the features of the basic membership, plus live coaching webinars and access to a personal specialist who will follow-up with you when you need it.
Premium membership includes all the above features as well as expert guidance by a CDE. This includes monthly coaching and check-up call.
Users of all the memberships get a free Dario Blood Glucose Monitoring System.
The Dario App
- The Dario app tracks key diabetes metrics, including carb counting, physical activity, and medication intake.
- Share real-time information and personalized PDF reports with your doctor, CDE, and family members.
- The app has a built-in emergency hypo alert with GPS location.
- The Dario App also have integration with one of the largest food database, so users can get all the nutrition details.
- Premium membership will have in-App chat (two-way communication) support of their specialist or CDE.
The Dario app has many functions including statistics on blood sugar levels, ranges and other daily averages such as carb counts. The Measurement portion of the app indicates hypos, hypers, and average blood glucose. You can also conveniently share your logbook with your doctor or loved ones by sending a simple e-mail.
Your Personal Specialist
With both the pro and the premium memberships, Dario also provides a “personal specialist,” to help users on their journey to diabetes management. Premium membership gets you CDE guidance to reach personal goals, per your personal challenge.
Those goals are tracked and monitored in real time by the CDE, and who guides users with a digital intervention via the app (SMS/push notification, in-app messages, email, etc.) on a routine schedule every 2 days.
Users of the premium service also have a “monthly coaching and check-up call,” which is a one-hour session with your personal CDE.
In addition, users can at all times see their readings, record what they eat by just picturing it, your activity, and medication adherence using the Dario Engage platform, a tool that helps users do personal tracking in real time.
On top of that- even in plans that is without a CDE:
- A Dario on-boarding team helps you through the first month, taking you hand by hand through the usage of the app and how to learn about it on yourself to the point where you are self-directed.
- By knowing what you eat in real time and seeing its effect.
- You also get weekly insights report that reflects your own progress.
- Users also have tailor-made content via the app.
The Dario Digital Health Platform – A Complete Integrated Care Solution. Images Courtesy: Dario Health.
Which Smartphones are supported?
The following devices will support the Dario device and application version – 4.1.2
Supported iOS phones:
iPhone 4s, 5, 5s, SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, Xs, Xs Max, XR.
iOS Operating System:9, 9.3, 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 11, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 12
(*) Note: iPhone7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X are supported with Dario LC Blood Glucose Monitoring System.
Supported Android phones:
LG G3, G4, G5, G6, G7. Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, S6, S6 Edge, S7, S7 Edge, S8, S8+, S9, S9+. Galaxy Note 4, 5, 8, 9
Android Operating System: 5, 6, 7, 8.
DarioHealth has regulatory approval in the U.S. and six other countries.