Having diabetes means you have to eat and drink responsibly.
While initially, it may feel impossible to change your diet and lifestyle habits around, once you start working on a plan to control your blood sugars, you will slowly find ways to enjoy some of the same foods and drinks you used to enjoy, only in a low-carb version.
Here are some low-carb cocktail ideas you might be able to enjoy on occasion.
Of course, check the carbs and sugars before cracking open those bottles and drink responsibly.
Summertime White Wine Spritzer
A summer cocktail with a delicious blend of fruity flavors and White Zinfandel.
- 4 ounces White Zinfandel
- 4 ounces sugar-free ginger ale or club soda
- 1 tablespoon cranberries, raspberries or white nectarine
- Shake first 2 ingredients together in an ice-filled shaker.
- Pour into your cocktail glass.
- Add in the fruits as a garnish and a sprig of mint.
Low Carb Spicy Tomato Cocktail
This recipe makes a simple, fresh tomato cocktail that you can drink as is or add bloody mary fixings like horseradish and hot sauce.
- 16 ounces Tomato Juice- look for low-sodium options
- 6 teaspoons Hot Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Splash of lemon juice
- 4 fluid ounce Vodka
- 2 medium celery stalks
- Combine the tomato juice, hot sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire, black pepper in a glass pitcher. Stir the mixture and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Add the vodka to the tomato juice and blend thoroughly with a spoon.
- Add ice cubes to glasses, pour in the cocktail and garnish with a celery stick.
Low Carb End of Summer Sangria
This simple, guilt-free cocktail doesn’t require much work.
- 4 ounces red wine
- 4 ounces of club soda
- 1-2 orange slices
- Add the red wine to a glass filled with ice.
- Add club soda
- Garnish with orange
Bubbly Cranberry Cocktail
This champagne cocktail is delicious with or without the bubbly. Cranberry and grapefruit juices combine with the flavors of coriander and orange.
- 1/8 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1/8 cup grapefruit juice
- 3/4 cup club soda or sparkling mineral water
- 4 ounces champagne
- Mix all the ingredients together
- You can skip the champagne altogether
- Serve chilled over ice
- Garnish with mint
NOTE: The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified nutritional professional. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your specific dietary needs.