Dexcom, Inc. announced last week that the company has received Health Canada approval for its next-generation Dexcom G6 CGM System for people with diabetes ages two years and up.
Dexcom makes continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices. The Dexcom G6 is a stand-alone CGM system for people with diabetes on multiple daily injection therapy (primarily the Type 1 diabetes population) and can also be used by anyone on insulin pump therapy.
This approval now clears the way for the Dexcom G6 to be made available to Canadians with diabetes.
It was previously introduced into the U.S, U.K., Ireland, and several other European countries.
The G6 commercial launch in Canada is planned for late 2019 as the company continues to build capacity to support global launch plans.
“The Dexcom G6 represents another step forward in diabetes management,” said Paul Flynn, Vice President, Dexcom Canada, Inc. “This next generation product continues the performance, features, and accuracy that the diabetes community has come to expect from Dexcom CGM. We’re proud and excited to be able to bring it to Canadians this year, once we’re in a position to reliably meet demand.”
Dexcom G6 Features:
The G6 has a new transmitter, a new sensor with new auto-applicator, and a new touchscreen receiver (which is an optional display device for Dexcom CGM).
These new components share and build upon the core attributes of the currently available Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM technology platform:
- No fingersticks for diabetes treatment decisions*
- Continuous glucose readings sent automatically to any compatible smart device† (or a Dexcom receiver), using Bluetooth technology
- Customizable alerts and alarms to warn users of dangerous glucose levels, even while they are asleep – a particularly useful feature for those with glucose variability and impaired hypoglycemia awareness
- Real-time data sharing with up to five Followers‡, allowing authorized others to view the user’s glucose levels remotely
More information about Dexcom and how to get started with continuous glucose monitoring can be found at www.dexcom.com.
- Dexcom G6® CGM System Receives Health Canada Approval. (2019, Feb. 22). PR Newswire. Retrieved: https://prnmedia.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dexcom-g6-r-cgm-system-receives-health-canada-approval-874756181.html