DexCom Inc., a developer of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems, announced today that it is now accepting orders for the Dexcom G6 CGM System for people with diabetes ages two years and up in Canada.
“We are thrilled to offer the Dexcom G6 CGM system to Canadians and are proud of this innovative technology that enables more effective diabetes management,” said Laura Endres, vice president, and general manager, Dexcom Canada, Inc.
“The Dexcom G6 not only frees people with diabetes from the burden of fingersticks but also offers real-time alerts and other features that can help people make more informed decisions for their daily diabetes management. This product changes people’s lives,” she added.
Building upon the core attributes of the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM technology, the Dexcom G6 introduces a couple of new features that empower users to take control of their diabetes.
Some of the features of the G6 are:
- Elimination of fingersticks for calibration and diabetes treatment decisions
- Continuous glucose readings sent automatically using Bluetooth technology to any compatible smart device, or to a Dexcom receiver, at five-minute intervals
- Customizable alerts and alarms, including a new “Urgent Low Soon” alert which can warn users up to 20 minutes in advance of an urgent hypoglycemic event, so they can take steps to prevent it
- Real-time data sharing with the Dexcom G6 app, allowing the user to share their glucose data with up to five followers to monitor their glucose levels remotely for extra peace of mind
- 10-day sensor allowing for longer wear (3 days longer than the previous generation Dexcom CGM)
- A slimmer transmitter with a lower profile for more discreet wearability
- An auto-applicator designed to make sensor insertion simple with the touch of a button
- A newly designed receiver with a touchscreen display (optional display device)
- New sensor membrane that enables acetaminophen use without any effect on glucose readings
“It is an exciting time for diabetes management, as new advancements in diabetes monitoring technology allow patients to move away from the traditional fingerstick blood glucose monitoring to continuous blood glucose monitoring,” said Dr. Rémi Rabasa-Lhoret, endocrinologist & director of the Montreal Clinical Research Institute Diabetes Clinic.
“Rather than multiple daily checks, patients can now have access to real-time detailed blood glucose profiles with alarms, allowing them to prevent and treat both low and high blood glucose levels – enabling easier and more informed therapeutic decisions,” he added.
Rabasa-Lhoret believes these devices are key to achieving recommended therapeutic goals more safely and easily.
In Canada, both current and new CGM users can now purchase a Dexcom G6 CGM starter kit at the Dexcom Store online at www.dexcom.com.
- Dexcom. Dexcom G6® CGM System Now Available In Canada. (2019, September 9). PR Newswire. Retrieved September 9, 2019, from https://prnmedia.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dexcom-g6-r-cgm-system-now-available-in-canada-887735218.html