dLife is excited to bring you professional chef, Type 1 advocate, and author Sam Talbot’s Chile-Rubbed Skirt Steak with Rustic Chimichurri.
Talbot is the author of two cookbooks, The Sweet Life, Diabetes Without Boundaries, which is geared for anyone that’s looking for healthy lifestyle swaps, and 100% Real, which focuses on clean and fresh eating.
“Diet has a strange connotation,” Talbot, tells dLife, “but if your focus is a healthy lifestyle, you want to look great, you want to feel great, and start to push the boundaries of where food can take you, those books are for you,” he adds.
You can read more about how Talbot pushes the boundaries of living with Type 1 here.
Try out Talbot’s recipes below:
Hands-on: 20 minutes. Total cook/prep time: 20 minutes. Serves 4.
The recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free.
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon lime zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh juice (from 1 lime)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup torn fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup torn fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 pound skirt steak
- Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450⁰F). Whisk together the sherry vinegar, zest, juice, and ¼ cup of the oil in a small bowl. Stir in the parsley, cilantro, mint, shallots, and ¼ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- Combine the ancho chile powder, red chili flakes, and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub the steak with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle both sides of the steak with the spice mixture.
- Grill, uncovered, to the desired degree of doneness, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Let stand 10 minutes; cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Serve with the chimichurri.
Recipe courtesy of Sam Talbot. Note: Featured image is a representation of the recipe. Be sure to consult your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your specific dietary needs.