1. Cinnamon Flan
Cinnamon Flan recipe below from celebrity chef, Ingrid Hoffmann‘s new cookbook, Latin Comfort Foods Made Healthy.
You might be asking yourself, how it’s possible to have a flan as a dessert? Hoffman says the magic trick was not using condensed milk and using fat-free evaporated milk instead. And, using just enough caramel to make this dessert delicious but still guilt-free.
- 1 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 (12-oz) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute baking blend (such as Truvia Baking Blend)
- 1⁄4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract 5 large eggs
- 2 2⁄3 cups raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine the sugar and water in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the caramel is lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Immediately pour the caramel into a 2-quart round baking dish, tilting the dish to evenly coat. Set aside until the caramel is cool and hardened, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the milk, evaporated milk, sugar substitute, cinnamon powder, and cinnamon sticks in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla and let stand 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
4. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk into the milk mixture until well blended. Pour into the baking dish.
5. Place the baking dish with the flan mixture into a 9×13-inch roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with enough hot water to come one-third of the way up the sides of the baking dish. Bake until the custard is set but jiggles slightly in the center, 50–55 minutes.
6. Transfer the pan to a rack; let cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours or overnight. To un-mold, run the tip of a small knife around the edge of the flan. Place a large flat plate on top of the flan and flip it over. Cut the flan into wedges and serve each wedge with 1/3 cup raspberries.