Crickets chirping, wind as warm as a hairdryer, car seats blazing hot. Ahhh, summer. What you need is something icy cold to quench your thirst and cool your body.
Browse this collection of mouth-watering, low carb summer drinks, and you can almost feel that wet, chilled glass in your hand.
Apricot Iced Tea
The delicate, sweet yet tart flavor of apricot nectar makes this tea special.
- 1-2 cups of water
- 1-2 tea bags of your liking
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 oz apricot nectar
- In a teapot, bring water to a boil, then steep the tea bags until desired.
- In a large pitcher, mix together steeped tea, lemon juice, apricot nectar, and water.
- Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours, or serve with ice.
Red Hot Iced Coffee
A dash of red pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom perk up this unique iced coffee.
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup coffee, at room temperature or chilled
- 2 tablespoons cream, milk or half & half
- A dash of red pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom
- Fill a glass with ice. Pour in coffee.
- Add in cream, milk or half & half
- Add a dash of red pepper, cinnamon, and/or cardamom
- Stir and enjoy.
Cantaloupe Aqua Fresca
Try using cantaloupe wedges or lime slices as a garnish for this unique melon-blended smoothie.
- 3 cups cantaloupe, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Put the melon cubes in a plastic Ziplock bag and put in the freezer overnight.
- Add all the ingredients in a blender.
- Garnish with a spring of mint and serve!
Low Carb Tofruitty
This strawberry and kiwi smoothie made with tofu and a hint of orange flavor delivers a nice dose of protein and disease-fighting nutrients.
- 1/2 pound silken tofu
- ¼ teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup kiwi
- ½ cup of soy milk or another milk substitute
- Add tofu and maple syrup to a mixing bowl and gently whisk together until smooth.
- Transfer tofu mixture to an ice tray and freeze
- Blend strawberries, tofu cubes, and milk in a blender
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
Peach Cream Fizz
This is a peach creamsicle in a glass.
- 1 peach, pitted, skinned and sliced. Tip: You can put the peach in warm water to get the skin off.
- 1 juice of a full lime
- ½ oz. heavy cream
- Splash of cream soda
- Add peaches and lime to a cocktail shaker
- Add heavy cream and soda to strain the juice, shake vigorously.
- Alternatively, you can use a handheld frother to work the mixture in an up and down motion to create froth.
- Pour into chilled glasses and enjoy.
NOTE: The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified nutritional professional. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your specific dietary needs.