- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8
- LEVEL: Easy
These gooey, juicy, low carb "pizzas" are stuffed with flavorful ground pork and herbs, and topped with crunchy pine nuts and melted mozzarella.
- 4 medium zucchini or yellow squash
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Blanch whole zucchini in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from water, drain, and pat dry.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds and pulp, and put aside for stock bag.
- In skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and onion. When onion starts to look translucent (after about 3 minutes), add garlic and one pinch salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add pork to pan, and stir to break up and brown. Sprinkle half of salt and pepper, and all of the oregano over the meat. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until no sign of pinkness remains.
- Rub zucchini with olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Place face down on greased cookie sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Spoon pork into zucchini boats. Spoon tomato sauce over pork.
- Place zucchini boats in oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove, and top with pine nuts, shredded mozzarella, and basil. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts.
You can substitute beef or turkey for the pork, and slivered almonds for the pine nuts.
Per serving—195 calories; 7.5g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 4g saturated fat; 11g protein; 313mg sodium