- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4
- LEVEL: Easy
Barley, black beans, and red bell peppers are stars in these tasty veggie burgers.
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cup cooked whole hull-less barley
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tsp sodium-free whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Mash 1/8 cup of beans.
- Mix barley, mashed and whole beans, onion, red pepper, bread crumbs, garlic, herbs, egg, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- Form into 12 patties, using a 1/4 measuring cup.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry patties until golden, about five minutes. Flip, and fry for an additional five minutes, until golden.
Per serving—141 calories; 27g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 0g saturated fat; 6g protein; 27mg sodium