- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 9 hours
- SERVINGS: 6
- LEVEL: Easy
A traditional hearty onion soup cooked in a crockpot, and served with gooey Gruyère cheese.
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 sliced onions
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 slices 100% whole grain crispbread, such as Wasa
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Peel and smash garlic cloves.
- In 5-6 quart slow cooker, combine beef broth, onions, garlic, and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat 8-9 hours, or on high heat for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls. Add 1/2 slice of crispbread to each bowl, and top with grated cheese.
- Place bowls on baking sheet and position under broiler until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.
Nutritional update coming soon.