- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 38 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6
- LEVEL: Easy
A vegetarian favorite—thick, spicy red lentil soup cooled by zesty lemon yogurt.
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 red hot chile pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1/4 cup dried red lentils
- 5 cups no-salt vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Peel and chop garlic and onions.
- Dice tomatoes into 1" cubes.
- Remove stem, seeds, and membranes from hot pepper. Mince.
- Peel and cut carrots into 1" pieces.
- In large pan, heat oil over medium. Sauté onion, thyme, and carrots for approximately 3-4 minutes (until vegetables begin to soften).
- Add garlic, hot pepper, and mustard seeds. Cook for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, lentils, and broth, and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer gently for 40 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Mix together yogurt and half of lemon zest. Set aside.
- Add lemon juice to soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into warmed serving bowls, and serve with small spoonful of lemon yogurt and remaining lemon zest.
Per serving—99 calories; 16g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 1g saturated fat; 4g protein; 48mg sodium