- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6
- LEVEL: Easy
A creamy, yet cream-free, asparagus soup brightened by lemon (so delicious you won't believe how nutritious it is.)
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped shallot or onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion (white and green tops)
- 1 cup white cannellini beans, drained
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into four pieces
- black pepper to taste
- Cut tough ends from asparagus. Laying asparagus flat on cutting board, use a vegetable peeler to remove tough fibrous skin from bottom third. Cut off tender tips and reserve. Cut spears in four pieces.
- In large pot, over medium heat, add chicken broth, shallot, scallion, asparagus spears, beans, and salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until asparagus is tender when pierced, (depending on thickness of the asparagus).
- Remove from heat, and ladle vegetables into a blender, add 1/4 cup of the cooled liquid. Puree until smooth, adding additional broth if needed.
- Return soup to the pot, add asparagus tips, and bring to boil again, reduce heat and simmer until tips are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and add one piece of butter at a time, stirring to melt and incorporate.
- Add pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
Freshly cracked black pepper is a lively finish for this soup. Freshly minced chives would add mild bite and pleasing color contrast.
Per serving—99 calories; 13g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 1g saturated fat; 7g protein; 388mg sodium