- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 1 minute
- SERVINGS: 28
- LEVEL: Easy
Make your own quick cucumber pickles that you can keep in the fridge.
- 2 large cucumbers
- 3 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of fresh dill (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dill seeds
- Wash, peel, and trim ends from cucumbers. Cut lengthwise into spears. Cut each spear in half.
- Place garlic cloves and dill sprig in one quart glass jar. Pack cucumber spears upright in jar.
- In small saucepan, over medium heat, mix water, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, red pepper flakes, and dill seeds.
- Bring to boil, and stir to dissolve salt. Allow to cool slightly.
- Ladle dressing over cucumbers until the brine covers the top of the cucumbers. Cover with lid, and let cool. Refrigerate at least 3 days, and up to 3 weeks.
You can also cut the cucumbers into slices, and play around with different combinations of spices, or vegetables (try pickling carrot sticks and cauliflower florets). Just make sure the brine completely covers the top of the vegetables.
Per serving— 6 calories; 1g carbohydrates; .13g fiber; 0g saturated fat; .17g protein; 375mg sodium