- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 11 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8
- LEVEL: Easy
A lower carb chocolate custard, complete with a dollop of whipped cream.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener packets
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whipped cream, divided
- In medium saucepan, whisk milk, sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and sweetener until smooth.
- Over medium heat, cook 6-8 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs until well blended. Add 1/4 of hot milk mixture to beaten eggs, whisking constantly to prevent curdling.
- Add remaining hot milk mixture to eggs, whisking continuously to prevent curdling.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan. Add vanilla extract.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes or until custard thickens. Do not let custard come to boil.
- Pour custard into 8 individual dessert cups or serving bowl and cover. Let cool. Refrigerate at least two hours.
- Top with whipped cream. Serve.
Per serving--103 calories; 13.5g carbs; 1g fiber; 2g saturated fat; 4g protein; 44mg sodium