- PREP TIME: 45 minutes
- COOK TIME: 0 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8
- LEVEL: Easy
- 6 fresh whole beets
- 1/3 medium cucumber
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup fresh dill weed
- Remove greens and stems from beets, rinse under cold water
- In large stock pot, over medium-high heat, add water (8 cups cold water) and beets. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and continue boiling 30 minutes.
- Remove beets from water and let stand until cool. Use paper towels to remove skin.
- Fit food processor with steel blade. Cut beets into 2" cubes and place in food processor bowl.
- Peel cucumber and place in food processor bowl.
- Add vinegar, sour cream, salt and 3/4 cup fresh chopped dill. (Reserve balance for garnish.)
- Purée mixture and transfer to large bowl.
- Combine beet mixture with vegetable stock. Stir until well blended.
- Ladle borscht into serving bowls and garnish with 1 dill sprig. Serve immediately.
Per serving—46 calories; 5g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 1g saturated fat; 1g protein; 240mg sodium