- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOK TIME: 25 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6
- LEVEL: Easy
Simple tomato soup, flavored with basil and spinach, and topped with cheese.
- 1 large onion
- 2 lb fresh plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Peel and chop onion. Quarter tomatoes.
- In large stockpot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and basil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until tomatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to blender or food processor. Purée until smooth, return to pot.
- Add broth, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat. Add salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add spinach, cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Per serving—73 calories; 9g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 1g saturated fat; 3g protein; 267mg sodium