- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 12
- LEVEL: Intermediate
Mix quinoa and basmati rice for a light, fluffy pilaf with extra protein.
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 fresh leek
- 1/2 small red bell pepper
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place rice and quinoa in mesh strainer and rinse for 2 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and set aside.
- Slice leek lengthwise and rinse well. Cut white part into thin slices. Dice red bell pepper.
- In large saucepan, over medium heat, warm oil. Add leeks and red peppers. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add rice and quinoa and continue to sauté, stirring for 2 more minutes or until the grains are fragrant and coated with oil.
- Add broth, water, and salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork and serve.
For a complete vegetarian meal, serve this pilaf with black bean salsa and cucumbers and yogurt with mint. This pilaf would pair equally well with baked or grilled salmon.
Per serving — 45 calories; 7.5 carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 0g saturated fat; 1g protein; 73.5mg sodium