- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 2 hours
- SERVINGS: 8
- LEVEL: Easy
Use this homemade stock as the base for any vegetarian soup recipe, or to replace low sodium canned.
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium celery stalk
- 1 fresh leek
- 1/2 tsp canola oil
- 8 cup cold water
- 1 cup white wine
- 16 oz mixed frozen vegetables
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaves
- 4 whole allspice
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 oz bouquet garni
- 1 pinch
- Peel and chop onion and carrot. Wash and chop celery.
- Remove root end and 1" of green top of leek. Slice lengthwise. Wash well. Cut into 1" pieces.
- In stock pot or large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium.
- Add onion, leek, carrot, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, wine, chopped vegetables, parsley sprigs, bay leaf, allspice, peppercorns, bouquet garni, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover pot. Simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Press lightly on vegetables to extract all juices.
- Strain stock. Discard solids.
Per serving — 83 calories; 13g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 0g saturated fat; 2g protein; 42mg sodium