- PREP TIME: 1 hour
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8
- LEVEL: Easy
A savory whole-grain stuffing (made without bread!) for meats and vegetables.
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 3 cups cooked whole hull-less barley
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- In large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, celery, carrots, salt, pepper, herbs. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add cooked barley and toss with vegetables. Add chicken stock and stir lightly to combine. Do not over-mix.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9" x 9" baking dish. Fill with barley mixture (do not pack.) Dot with remaining butter and bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes until top is golden.
You can use pearled barley instead of whole hull-less, but it will not have as many nutritional benefits. Pearled barley cooks faster and has a creamier texture. Learn more about barley in Barley! The Lowest-GI Grain.
Per serving—164 calories; 7g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 6g saturated fat; 1g protein; 112mg sodium.